- Here's another Club profile / get to know your Goat!
This person is known for a cheerful smile, extensive chat game and for hiding large shelled animals under his shirt (aka turtle gut). He's also known (more importantly) for his love of the game, his club and his family.
1. Full name:
"Marthinus Gerhardus Slabber" (bloody great name Marty!)
2. Years of service for the Goats.
"10 years since 2004 (had 2 years off)".
3. What do you think you were in a past life and why?
"A Goat of course!"
4. Fondest memory of Rugby Union (playing and/or watching)?
"Ah man too many to choose from! There's been epic bus trips, international Goats tours (the first Manila trip was legendary), Grand final wins (seniors and in juniors), playing state rugby as a junior, Goats Got Talent nights, anything involving Steve DeMeilion... But I guess the fondest one was way back in u/12's. I managed to break through the opposition backline, step several players and then sprint 50m to score as I got tackled on the line. We won the game and I got completely mobbed by the whole team. As a kid that really seals in rugby as a passion for life."
5. Most embarrassing memory of Rugby Union (playing)?
"Never had one 😉". (How good is Marty's full name?)
6. What are you renowned for on the Rugby field?
"Handy player, can play anywhere, great kicker who never gets to kick and I don't mind a speech. Some say I carry around a turtle but I don't know what that's about." ("loves a speech"...this bloke would talk during a funeral in a movie theatre!)
7. What is it that you enjoy most about the Goats?
"Just the type of people this club attracts, all great blokes and girls from just about every where in the world and all just playing for the love of it which makes for a awesome and fun culture. Plus we are called the Goats, that should be reason enough!"
8. What are you expecting from / looking for from your teams in 2016?
"Hopefully winning another couple of premierships, seeing the girls team get a few wins, making some more great friends and winning Goats got Talent!"